How to make cannabis-infused honey
Last updated Published
When it gets colder outside, and we’re all looking for something sweet and warm to help soothe the winter blues, it means it's the perfect time to whip up some cannabis-infused honey.
You might have heard of cannabis honey made by bees, and about a French beekeeper and marijuana activist calling himself Nicholas Trainer-bee, who claimed he trained his bees to make honey from cannabis plants, but unfortunately this probably was a hoax.
Luckily it is very easy to make your own cannabis-infused honey at home.
Whether you spread it on your morning toast or stir it into your evening cup of tea, just make sure to take it easy. This stuff is potent!
If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed by the idea of cooking with weed, don’t be. Making cannabis honey is super simple.
N.B.: The following recipe is with an estimated amount of marijuana. Remember that edibles can hit harder then you expect, so feel free to judge the amount according to your own experience. It is strongly advised to first learn how to calculate the strength of edibles.
- 11oz/325ml honey
- 3.5g cannabis flower
- ½ cup coconut oil (120ml approx)
- 2 Mason jars
- Before you start, make sure you decarboxylate your weed. To do so, roughly chop your cannabis flower, place it on a lined baking tray, and bake at 230°F (110°C) for roughly 30 minutes, stirring the weed with a wooden spoon every 15 minutes.
- Place the decarboxylated weed in a jam or Mason jar together with the coconut oil. Seal the jar with a lid.
- Pour some water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. You’ll need just enough water to submerge roughly half the jar.
- Place the jar into the boiling water. The heat will allow the cannabinoids and terpenes in the weed to be absorbed into the oil. Let the mixture infuse in boiling water for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the infused oil from the saucepan and let it cool.
- Once cool, place the cheesecloth over a bowl and strain the oil into it. Remember to squeeze the strained flower and get all the oil into the bowl.
- Place the honey and infused coconut oil into a blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Transfer the mixture into another jar, and voila!
TIPS FOR MAKING CANNABIS-INFUSED HONEY
As you can see, making weed honey is super simple. Nonetheless, there are some quick tips you can follow to make sure your honey is extra potent and tasty:
Always decarboxylate your weed first: No matter how rushed or impatient you are, never skip the decarboxylation step outlined above. Decarboxylating helps ensure you get all those precious cannabinoids.
Use good weed: It’s simple; the better the weed, the better the honey.
Always use oil: Do not bother trying to infuse pure honey with weed. THC and other cannabinoids are only fat soluble and will not infuse into sugar, no matter how hard you try.