Awards & recognition
Blue Cheese: A Popular and Relaxing Cannabis Strain
Credit: Royal Queen Seeds
Blue Cheese is a highly sought-after cannabis strain widely known and enjoyed in the cannabis community. This strain is an indica-dominant hybrid that boasts a unique and pungent aroma reminiscent of its parent strains, Blueberry and UK Cheese. As such, it’s not uncommon to see this strain on Amsterdam’s coffeeshop menus.
She is a unique and popular strain that is loved by many because of her distinct aroma, flavour, and relaxing and soothing effects. Regardless of your skill level, Blue Cheese is a low-maintenance, high-yielding plant with a very distinct flavor.
Genetics and History of Blue Cheese
Blue Cheese is a cross between Blueberry and UK Cheese. Blueberry is an indica-dominant strain originating from Oregon, while UK Cheese is a hybrid from the UK. It is said that Blue Cheese was created in Europe, but there is no clear indication of where or when it was first bred.
Blue Cheese has won several awards over the years, including the High Times Cannabis Cup for Best Cannabis. The strain is 60/40 indica-to-sativa, with a strong indica dominance.
A favorite among the cannabis community, Blueberry is known for its fruity, sweet aroma reminiscent of blueberries. It is an indica-dominant strain that has become a classic in the cannabis world and is favored for its relaxing and calming effects. Like many indica strains, Blueberry is associated with a soothing effect perfect for nighttime use. It has a moderate THC content, with levels ranging from 16% to 24%, and low levels of CBD.
UK Cheese is a hybrid strain known for its unique and pungent aroma, reminiscent of cheese, with a skunky aftertaste. This strain is a cross between Skunk #1 and an unknown Cheese phenotype originating from the UK. It is said that it was first bred by a group of growers known as "Exodus" in the early 1990s.
UK Cheese is known for its uplifting and euphoric effects, making it a favourite for people who struggle with depression or stress. With an average of 20% THC, and very little CBD, this strain is moderate to highly intoxicating.
Smell and Flavour of Blue Cheese
As the name suggests, Blue Cheese has a distinct aroma that blends sweet blueberry and pungent cheese. The flavour is similar to the aroma, with a cheesy taste on the exhale.
Blue Cheese Terpene Profile
- Myrcene is a terpene commonly found in hops, thyme, lemongrass, and mangoes. It is known for its musky and earthy aroma and is often used to produce perfumes and fragrances.
- Caryophyllene is a sesquiterpene found in many plants, including black pepper, clove, hops, and cannabis. It is an important component of essential oils and has been used for centuries in traditional medicine.
- Limonene is commonly found in the peels of citrus fruits and has a strong, pleasant scent. The terpene is frequently used in cosmetic and cleaning products due to its potent fragrance and ability to dissolve oils and fats.
Potency and Effects of Blue Cheese
Blue Cheese has a moderate to high THC content, ranging from 15% to 20%, with negligible levels of CBD. The relaxing properties of this strain make it ideal for use at night.
Blue Cheese is popular among recreational users looking for a relaxing and calming experience. Its sedative effects make it ideal for nighttime use, and it is often used to help with stress or anxiety. The strain's euphoric effects can also lead to feelings of happiness, making it a great choice for social situations or unwinding after a long day.
Additionally, Blue Cheese's reported hunger-inducing effects to make it a popular choice for individuals looking to stimulate their appetite. Overall, Blue Cheese's unique aroma and flavour, coupled with its relaxing and mood-enhancing effects, make it a must-try for recreational users.
In addition to its recreational benefits, Blue Cheese is also used for medical purposes. The strain's ability to alleviate chronic pain and insomnia makes it popular among patients seeking natural remedies. Its sedative effects can help patients relax and reduce stress and anxiety. The strain's reported hunger-inducing effects make it an excellent choice for individuals seeking to increase their food intake.
Some commonly reported side effects of Blue Cheese include dry mouth, dry eyes, dizziness, and paranoia. Users should be cautious about the dosage, as it can cause adverse effects if used excessively.
Growing Blue Cheese
Blue Cheese is a relatively easy strain to grow, making it ideal for novice and experienced growers. The short flowering time of 7-8 weeks, is great for eager growers. Outdoor growers should harvest this cultivar during September. Indoor growers should also expect around 450-500g/m² of Blue Cheese nugs, while outdoor ganja gardeners will get approximately 500-550 gr/plant.
The buds of Blue Cheese are dense and round, with a tapered shape reminiscent of popcorn. The leaves are a bright green with orange and brown pistils, while the trichomes are a frosty white. The buds are often covered in resin, which gives them a sticky texture and a shiny appearance.
Indoor Growing Tips
• When growing Blue Cheese indoors, providing a well-ventilated space with good air circulation is essential. It prefers a warm and dry climate, with slightly cooler temperatures at night. Maintaining a consistent temperature and humidity level ensures healthy growth and high yields.
• Blue Cheese responds well to various grow mediums, including soil and hydroponics. However, in soil, it is important to use a nutrient-rich soil mix and to maintain a proper pH level. Hydroponic growers should also use a high-quality nutrient solution and regularly monitor pH and conductivity levels.
• Blue Cheese has a moderate growth rate and can benefit from training techniques such as topping, pruning, and trellising to increase yields and promote even canopy growth. Growers should also provide adequate lighting, with a recommended light intensity of 600-1000 watts per square meter.
• Blue Cheese requires twelve hours of uninterrupted darkness per day during flowering to induce bud development. It is important to monitor plants closely during this stage and to provide adequate ventilation to prevent mold and mildew growth.
Outdoor Growing Tips
• A sunny and well-drained location with nutrient-rich soil is ideal for growing this strain. Blue Cheese thrives in a warm and dry environment with a temperature range of 21-27°C (70-80°F).
• To ensure optimal growth, outdoor growers should provide Blue Cheese with the necessary nutrients and water. Organic fertilizers are a fantastic choice for those looking to grow Blue Cheese. Not only do they provide the necessary nutrients for healthy growth, but they also help to improve soil quality and promote optimal plant development.
• It is also important to monitor and control pests and diseases. While Blue Cheese is known for its resistance to common pests and molds, it is still important to watch for any issues that may arise.
• Outdoor growers should take preventive measures to ensure their plants are healthy and free of pests and diseases. Using organic pesticides and fungicides, which are less harmful to the environment than their chemical counterparts, is one way to achieve this.
• Growers should keep their growing environment clean and well-ventilated to prevent harmful bacteria and fungi buildup. This can be achieved through regular cleaning and regular maintenance of equipment.
Should You Try Blue Cheese?
Blue Cheese is a strain that is definitely worth trying, whether you're a recreational or a medical user. This strain is known for its unique aroma and flavour, which is a blend of sweet blueberries and pungent cheese, making it a must-try for cannabis connoisseurs.
Blue Cheese is an ideal strain for growers of all experience levels. This low-maintenance plant is easy to grow and has a high yield, making it a popular choice among cultivators. The strain is also resistant to pests and mold, which makes it an excellent option for novice growers. Its short flowering time of 7-8 weeks means you can enjoy your harvest sooner.
For Recreational Users
Recreational users enjoy Blue Cheese for its relaxing and calming effects. It is often used to alleviate stress or anxiety and is also known for its soothing effects, making it ideal for nighttime use. Additionally, the strain's euphoric effects can lead to feelings of happiness, making it an excellent choice for social situations or unwinding after a long day.
For Medical Users
Medical users choose Blue Cheese for its ability to alleviate chronic pain and insomnia. Its sedative effects can help patients relax and reduce mood-related disorders. Moreover, Blue Cheese stimulates appetite, benefiting patients with specific lifestyle or health needs.
Blue Cheese: Cheesy, Relaxing, and Delicious
Blue Cheese is a unique and popular strain that is loved by many. Its distinct aroma, flavour, and relaxing and soothing effects make it ideal for recreational and medical users. Whether you're a novice or an experienced grower, Blue Cheese is a low-maintenance plant that is easy to grow and has a high yield. If you haven't tried Blue Cheese yet, it's definitely worth a try!
Blue Cheese FAQ
Q: Is Blue Cheese indica or sativa?
A: Blue Cheese is an indica-dominant hybrid strain, with a genetic makeup that is 60% indica and 40% sativa. This means that the effects of Blue Cheese are primarily those of an indica strain, but with some sativa-like effects as well.
Q: Does Blue Cheese get you high?
A: Yes, Blue Cheese is a cannabis strain that is known to get users high due to its high THC content. The strain is an indica-dominant hybrid with a moderate to high THC content ranging from 15% to 20%. When consumed, Blue Cheese can produce a range of effects, including relaxation, euphoria, happiness, sleepiness, and hunger-inducing.
Q: Is the Blue Cheese strain top shelf?
A: The quality of a strain depends on several factors, such as its genetics, growing conditions, and harvesting methods. Blue Cheese is a popular and highly sought-after strain in the cannabis community, known for its unique aroma, flavor, and effects. However, due to its popularity and accolades, it is generally considered a high-quality strain with desirable characteristics.
Q: Is Blue cheese good for sleep?
A: Yes, Blue Cheese is known for its relaxing and soothing effects, making it a suitable choice for people who have trouble sleeping. The strain's indica-dominant genetics contribute to its calming and soothing effects, which can help promote sleep and reduce anxiety or stress. The high THC content of Blue Cheese can also make you sleepy, which may help individuals who struggle with insomnia or other sleep disorders.
Q: Can Blue Cheese be used during the daytime, or is it best for nighttime use?
A: Blue Cheese is generally recommended for nighttime use due to its relaxing and soothing effects. The strain's indica-dominant genetics contribute to its calming and soothing effects, making users sleepy or drowsy. This makes it an excellent option for individuals who have trouble falling or staying asleep. However, some users may find that Blue Cheese can be used during the daytime, depending on their tolerance level and the desired effects.
Grow your own Blue Cheese
- Grow difficulty
- Flowering type
- Flowering time
- 7-8 weeks
- Harvest time (outdoor)
- End of September/October
- Yield (indoor)
- Yield (outdoor)
- Height (indoor)
- Height (outdoor)